Re: Problems with plotting/printing

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problems with plotting/printing
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:53:45 -0400

On Jul 30, 2011, at 6:04 AM, Thomas Nordhaus wrote:

> Hi!
> I have octave 3.0.3. It seems octave cannot find the font "Helvetica
> Not-Rotated 200" and is replacing it with Sans Not-Rotated 200". The major
> problem however is, that I get eror messages (can't find font) when printing
> the plot like print -djpg test.jpg and here is no output.
>
> How can I solve the problem? Thanks in advance!
>
> Thomas

The error you're encountering is from gnuplot. From sec 14 of the gnuplot-4.4.1
manual ...

"Gnuplot does not provide any fonts of its own. It relies on external font
handling, the details of which unfortunately vary from one terminal type to
another. Brief documentation of font mechanisms that apply to more than one
terminal type is given here. For information on font use by other individual
terminals, see the documentation for that terminal."

The subsections describe how fonts are managed for different terminals.

14.1    Cairo (pdfcairo, pngcairo, wxt terminals)
14.2    Gd (png, gif, jpeg terminals)
14.3    Postscript (also encapsulated postscript *.eps)

It appears your libgd installation does not inclue the "Helvetica Not-Rotated
200" font.

        http://www.libgd.org/
        http://www.boutell.com/gd/

I do not know if the Helvetica font is available for libgd. You might try some
thing similar like Arial.

Another solution is to upgrade your Octave to 3.4.x. In this version of Octave,
the jpg output is generated from eps using ghostscript. Thus, I don't expect
any problems with Helvetica fonts.

Ben