Re: Help Installing a Matlab Toolbox

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Help Installing a Matlab Toolbox
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:39:03 +0100

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 5:50 AM, John Merkel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a new user of Octave.  I'm a teacher, and our school does not have
> Matlab.  I want to use Octave as an alternative.  I am trying to install a
> Matlab toolbox called DiscreteWaveletsToolbox, available here:
>
> http://cam.mathlab.stthomas.edu/wavelets/packagesmatlab.php
>
> It is free to use.  I placed the file DiscreteWaveletsToolbox.zip in
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\packages, where all the other
> packages are.  I unzipped the file which created a directory tree there.
> However, I could not use the functions from the package.  I then tried the
> "pkg install DiscreteWaveletsToolbox.zip" command, which gave me an error:
>
> octave-3.2.4.exe:11> pkg install DiscreteWaveletsToolbox.zip
> unpack: unarchiving program exited with status: 1
> 'unzip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> So, I guess my questions are, what do I need to do to install the toolbox?
> Do I need to find some DOS version of an 'unzip' command?  Is there another
> way to install the toolbox?
>
> Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

The "pkg" command only works with package from the octave-forge repository
or packages conforming to the structure specified on the octave-forge pages.
This is most probably not the case for this package.

I think the install procedure is exactly the same as on Matlab (see the web page
you mentioned), but as there's no GUI, you'll have type the commands manually.
Something like:

    addpath (genpath ("<where you unzipped the package">))

Michael.