Re: QTOctave and Octave 3.4

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: QTOctave and Octave 3.4
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:31:26 +0200

   > On 17 October 2011 11:45, octaveuser001 <address@hidden> wrote:

   > QtOctave is abandoned. Yes, it  has problems with fltk and debugging.
   > We're working on a replacement GUI, but it probably won't be available
   > for a while. I don't have an easy solution for you. Either stay with
   > 3.2 if it works for you, or debug from the CLI. Emacs also works as an
   > interface to Octave's debugger, but it has a steep learning curve, and
   > you might not want to climb this curve.

That is frankly a huge problem and prevents  new users to
switch :(

On the one hand 3.4.x ships some really nice enhancements
especially for graphics.
But on the other hand the interaction with the GUI is
(deliberately?) broken.

I say this as a convinced Xemacs user (I also have to admit
that the matlab-mode is far superior to the octave-mode, for
example in the latter results with a lot of digts are not
correctly displayed due to the use of thumb windows in the
(tcsh) shell). And yes I would like to improve the Emacs
interface but the original authors seem to be off the
project.

But  my students need a GUI and qtoctave is broken. The good
news is that GUI Octave still works with 3.4.2 in Windows,
but of course not in MacIntosh nor in Linux.

Uwe Brauer