Re: Reading excel files

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Reading excel files
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

J Nolde wrote:

> I have been struggling to read Excel files into Octave 3.2.4 for awhile
> now. I would like to use the COM interface. I have Excel 2007 and the
> windows-1.1.0 package installed. When I try to run xlsfinfo or xlsopen I
> get the message:
>
> warning: No support for Excel .xls I/O
>
> I'm not sure what else I need to install or enable to get it to work.
> Help?

Is the windows package loaded? (just installed isn't enough!)
Do:
pkg list windows

If there's no asterisk in front of the package name, do:

pkg load windows

Some background:
In Octave-3.2.4_MinGW the windows package isn't loaded by default as there
is a nasty bug that is triggered if a.o., the windows package is loaded and
you type "clear all" (Octave will crash then).
Other packages suffered from the same bug (in Octave_MinGW), ga,
communications, etc. It is all clearly described in the readme.

If you dare, you can do
pkg rebuild -auto windows
to autoload the windows pkg.

Philip