Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can in a 64-bit one
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:10:27 -0500

On Nov 6, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 11/6/11 11:05 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> In any case, I played around with different the available flex options
>>> (fink's flex, flex-devel [which normally has to be explicitly used
>>> because it's out of the PATH], or the system's flex) with no change in
>>> the results.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>
>> I reviewed some old emails.  I expect problems if autogen.sh is run using
>> Apple's version. When building the docs, I had encountered errors and
>> warning such as ...
>>
>>      warning: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 92, column 2
>>
>>      error: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 164, column 2
>>
>> In any event, I updated by Fink packages, and am still able to build octave
>> using my build script. Over the next few days I'll try modifying my script
>> to reflect the differences in Fink's info file.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Well and good, but can you install octave-forge packages?  _That's_ the
> problem I'm having.
>
> Octave _builds_, with minimal warnings, for me.  And the builds look
> pretty much the same on i386, where pkg won't install anything, and on
> x86_64, where pkg works.

I plan to build using a script that closely follows the Fink info file, and
check that the cs-list problem is absent.

Once that works, I'll modify the octave343.info file and build and install with
that.

At that point, I'll be able to try to install a package.

My builds are slow (> 1hr) and can only try in my spare time. I expect my
progress will be slow.

Ben