Location of octave libraries

From: Matyas Sustik
Subject: Location of octave libraries
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:44:53 -0600

Hi All,

I apologize if this is not the proper forum for this question.

While writing my Makefiles I have the problem that on different
machines I have to
deal with different versions of octave.  (On my laptop I have 2.3.4,
at school they have
2.3.3.)  There does not appear to be a uniform location for the lib
files.  /usr/lib/octave is not a
symlink to /usr/lib/octave-3.2.[3|4] on either systems.

I guess I could call octave --version and parse out and build the
directory name in the Makefile.  Is that how others tackle this issue?

I intend to release some code and I would prefer not have to tell the users
to figure out the location of the libs.  (By the way, Matlab has the
same issue or even worse, I could not figure out how to get
automatically the include and lib dirs.)

Thanks!
-Matyas