RE: Help

From: William Krekeler
Subject: RE: Help
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:00:45 +0000

From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Spencer M
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:12 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: Help

I am looking to read a picture with several nuts and bolts randomly arranged on the picture. I want this program to work for a couple different pictures. I am having trouble writing something that will be able to distinguish and count the number of nuts and bolts.

Thanks,
Spencer

Spencer,

Not knowing the particulars of your problem, or what is causing you trouble, it will be hard for the list to make good suggestions to help you. Here is an abstract start for things you might try. You need to figure out how to reduce the picture content by converting it to a logic structure of pixels labeled by the likelihood of what object they are.

Look at trying different edge filters. Or color detectors (depending on pictorial content), ie if all the screws, nuts, bolts are against a dark background. Or you could try some sort of shape signature method that for each point in the image space defines a shape signature that is then matched to a database of expected shapes. Many of these methods are going to have trouble with occlusion and you will need to account for partial objects, ie the head of a bolt can look like the top of a nut if there are no shadows for context. If all the objects have similar orientations across images you could define a single object filter and convolve it with each image to flag likely objects.  You will likely need to use some combinations of the suggestions and I expect that your algorithm will also require, at least a the testing level a ROC curve to determine the best operating threshold to avoid false alarms.

Good luck

William Krekeler