How to add non-English characters to figures

From: Weipeng He
Subject: How to add non-English characters to figures
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:35:15 +0800

I want to add a Chinese title or other labels to a figure. Commands are like
title("标题“)
text(0,0,"标签”)
However, I get only garbled characters on the figure with the following warning
warning: ft_render: skipping missing glyph for character `�'
Is there any solution I can get it work?

Thanks~

Some additional information:
Octave Version is 3.4.3
graphics_toolkit is gnu-plot