Problem with griddata and contourplot

From: Walter White
Subject: Problem with griddata and contourplot
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 17:04:07 +0100

Hello,

I came across a problem and hope that you can help me.

I was trying to produce a contour plot of scattered x,y,z data,
therefore I was using griddata. So far everything works fine,
but when my mesh is too fine the following error message
appears and the script quits:

gnuplot (as of v4.2) only supports 3D filled triangular patches

Since the data is from a FEM software I have to plot it
using a fine mesh to see the details.
Does someone know a solution or a workaround to that?

Kind regards,
Walter