Re: Installing Octave from source file onto cluster

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Installing Octave from source file onto cluster
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:41:22 +0100

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:32:19PM -0600, yashar mehmani wrote:
> Hey all,
> I'm trying to install octave on a cluster (Lonestar on TACC), from the
> source file. I have unzipped the octave-3.4.3.tar.gz file and I cd'ed
> into it and I know that I have to do the following three steps:
>
> 1) ./configure
> 2)make
> 3) make install
>
> but in the first step I get the following and I cannot move forward any
> further:
>
> configure: WARNING: Qhull library not found -- this will result in
> loss of functionality of some geometry functions.
> checking whether pcre.h defines the macros we need... no
> configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and
> header files installed

Qhull is optional, if you don't need it, you can ignore it. For PCRE, I
suggest you ask your cluster administrators - it's a widely used
library, so they surely don't want to have X copies on it on the home
directories (which is the argument I would present to them).

> I'm a newbie so could you explain to me in steps what I can do to have
> it configured successfully so I can run "make"?

You would need to compile qhull and pcre from source and put it into
your home directory.

        Thomas