Re: print resolution in latex

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: print resolution in latex
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:40:33 -0500

On Jan 16, 2012, at 4:20 AM, Reza Housseini wrote:

> Hello Octave user,
>
> I try to print area plots with up to 35040 data points for the epslatex
> device. But the generated .ps file in latex is huge (7.5MB), due to the
> octave print output. I tried to adjust the resolution with the -r option but
> this didn't work. Is there any other way to reduce the file size without
> manually reduce my input vector? There's no need that I see all the details
> over the 35040 points, is just to get the reader an impression of how the
> data looks like.
>
> Thanks a lot for the support,
>
> Best wishes,
> Reza

Did you use the scattter() command to produce your plot ?  This command
produces a patch object for each data point and can produce a very large file
(and slow plot updates).

If you used that, you can try the plot command instead. Depending upon what you
want that may take some extra effort, but you can start with ...

        x = randn (1, 35040);
        y = randn (1, 35040);
        h = plot(x, y, "s");
        set (h, "markerfacecolor", "auto")

Gnuplot's markers are  not implemented in a consistent way. So it may no
display as expected, but if you print it, you will get the expected result.

        print -depsc test.eps

Using my example, the file size is 549 kB.

If my guess that you're using scatter() is not correct, please give us more
information. If possible a simple script that demonstrates the problem would be
helpful.

Ben