Re: Donation to GNU Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Donation to GNU Octave
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:58:10 -0500

On 9 February 2012 14:52, Ismael Núñez-Riboni <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> You are not looking for a conulting contract. You are looking for an
>>> invoice. Said invoice might even be for a license to Octave.
>>

>> There has been more than one German that requested we give them
>> something like this. How can Octave provide an invoice for the GPL? Do
>> we need to be registered under German law as some sort of
>> organisation? Do you have any idea whom to ask?
>

> An invoice (i.e., payed money) for a GPL license seems to me like
> contradicting the GPL itself (free like in free beer, right?),

No, it's perfectly fine to charge money for GPLed software, e.g.:

    http://ardour.org/download

There are some conditions in the GPL about how you can charge money,
mostly about source (e.g. you can't charge for the source code more
than what you've charged for the binary), but it's no problem to sell
you Octave binaries. This is, for example, why it's fine for Red Hat
to sell Linux and GNU, or why Mozilla allows CDs of Firefox to be
sold:

http://slashdot.org/story/06/02/23/1330220/uk-government-confiscates-firefox-cds

If this is satisfactory (or an invoice for support, I don't know), we
could start looking into how to do this in order to satisfy German
laws.

- Jordi G. H.