Re: Donation to GNU Octave

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: Donation to GNU Octave
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 02:29:32 -0800 (PST)

Thomas Weber-3 wrote

> You guys never had to deal with accounting departments, have you? Those
> guys do NOT CARE what the invoice is for. It's not their field of
> expertise, period. Or have you ever gotten a mail by them reading "Are
> you really sure that the book you have bought is necessary for your
> academic work? Maybe that cheaper book over there will do?".

The source of those problems is the European Commission funding rules. Those
rules requires that all spending, even for less than one Euro, are dully
justified. So yes, there must be an invoice to an existing society. You must
introduce the proof that you looked at three "offers"'. Repeatingly sending
money to the same place is a no-no. And so on.

I signed a petition two years ago asking the EC to thrust researchers. Maybe
the FSFE should initiate the same kind of petition with respect to the Open
Source software ecosystem ?

Regards

Pascal