saving in HDF5 with compression

From: petibub
Subject: saving in HDF5 with compression
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 08:44:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi!

I have a question about saving data in Octave: I'd like to save the
workspace using the HDF5 format and ASAIU this works by using the -hdf5
option. I also would like to use compression, which is supported by the
HDF5.

In Octave, the command "save -hdf5 -z myfilezipped" seems to produce the
same file as "save -hdf5 myfileplain". HDFViewer shows that both files have
no compression.

How can I enable compression (GZIP) when saving in HDF5 in Octave?

BTW: saving and then zipping is not an option for me because I must stay
with the HDF5 specs.
BTW 2: the same problem for chunking: how to enable the chunking according
to HDF5 specs in Octave?

Thanks in advance,
Piotr