Re: printing a non-visible figure... earlier solutions not working?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: printing a non-visible figure... earlier solutions not working?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:02:06 -0400

On Mar 27, 2012, at 9:52 AM, nitnit wrote:

> bpabbott wrote
>
>> The Windows binary you are using is setup to use the fltk graphics toolkit
>> by default.
>>
>> Currently Octave's print() command only works for the OpenGL toolkits when
>> the figure is visible.
>
> Hello Ben,
>
> I have been reported about a similar printing problem with mingw
> octave-3.6.1.
>
> At least for fltk, when the figure is not in focus and is completely
> 'covered' behind any other window, a print command does not generate the
> graphics file. Whenever the window which covers the figure window is
> moved/resized such that some part of the fltk figure window is visible, the
> graphics file is generated.
>
> Is this a known limitation or a bug which needs to filed in the tracker ?
>
> Regards
> Nitzan

I don't see this problem on MacOS or Ubuntu.

I suspect his is a mingw/windows only problem that is partly due to
mingw/windows, and partly due to gl2ps requiring the figure be rendered.

Have you checked the behavior on Cygwin ?

Does Windows only render the portions which are visible ?

If Win7 behaves differently than XP, Vista, etc, then maybe changing versions
of Windows will produce a different result ?

I expect this is a duplicate of the bug below.

Please add a comment to 33180 to document what you found.

Ben