Re: help : how to load only a part of a matrix in octave

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: help : how to load only a part of a matrix in octave
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:38:27 +0200

>>> I think that is the only solution at all, I remember there was or is
>>> still a limitation in octave that limits the file pointer to 2GB.
>> This is not a problem if you read the file in slices using fseek and fread.
>>
>This is really useful to know, thanks.

To be more specific: as far as the file pointer is concerned, as far as
I know, the 2^31 limitation depends on the operating system libraries,
and I think that it is a thing of the past on all systems.

As far as the size of the matrix, the limitation of 2^31 is not on data:
it is on the index.  You can address any number of arrays, each with up
to 2^31 elements with the 32-bit version.  This was the status of Octave
in 2009, at least, and I guess it has not changed.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107