Symbolic equation solving

From: vkv
Subject: Symbolic equation solving
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 02:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm trying to use octave's symlsolve from the symbolic package to solve a
system of 12 linear equations which has, apart from the 12 variables to be
solved, 4 extra symbolic variables in the equations. All I get upon
executing this is an empty solution: solution = ().

If, however, I chop down the system size to 3x3, with 3 extra symbolic
variables, it works. Can someone please tell me why the 12x12 system cannot
be handled? Any workaround?

Thanks,
Vipin