Re: Efficient definition of multidimensional ranges

From: stn
Subject: Re: Efficient definition of multidimensional ranges
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 20:09:19 +0200

2012/6/9 Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>

Hi Sergei,

I know what is 'shell'.

Of course. I misinterpreted your question

Regarding "the idea was to generate numbers that can be used to control calculations in programs _other_ that octave" - you probably mean not "_other_ that", but '_other_ than'.

"_other_ than", obviously :-)

Anyway, Octave has 'system' function, and using it other than Octave programs can be called. That's what the function is for.

So, again, why a 'shell' script is needed in this case ? Again, what is the feature of 'shell' script language that is not present in Octave language which justifies using 'shell' script ?

Yes, you can do that too. That means that octave is the main control-program and calls everything else.

I just like to do it the other way around and use the shell as the main control-program and octave is one of the programs called by the shell.

No big deal, it works either way.

Stefan

Thanks,
  Sergei.