Re: Medit

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Medit
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:18:47 +0100

On 12 June 2012 12:38, Ismael Diego Nunez-Riboni <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anybody using "medit" as octave editor? Medit identifies nicely when I open a
> .f90 file and I can block comment easily with the fortran comment character
> (!). It seems it happens the same with C files (and //). I would like to do
> the same with .m files, i.e., that medit identifies automatically that it is
> an octave file, highlights with colors the octave syntaxes and block comments
> with "%" (not with ! or //, of course).
>
> Anybody has experience with this?
>
> Otherwise, if anybody has good tips about an editor for octave I would like
> to know, cause I had enough bad experiences with the Nirvana editor (i.e.,
> nedit, which I was using so far). I need an editor that can block indent and
> comment with key short cuts... Nedit is good, but it has a couple of bugs
> that drive me crazy (it freezes some times when you want to cut&paste, etc).
>
> Thanks for the help in advance, Ismael.

I find gedit to be pretty good. I have extended the lang file for
octave last year. It uses # for comment but if you need to use % it
can be easily changed (see the octave wiki to see how
http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gedit ). To indent blocks just
select all the lines you want and press tab (shift+tab to unindent).

Carnë