Re: compiling -static

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: compiling -static
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:01:47 -0400

On 28 June 2012 21:29, Mag Gam <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi, please avoid top-posting if possible:
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting#Top-posting
>>
>> On 28 June 2012 07:49, Mag Gam <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> thanks for the responses. I will wait until 3.8.0
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>>> I manually tried to apply the patch for 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 and it fails
>>> with the same exact error
>>
>> Did you regenerate the configure script? I'm not sure if the
>> autogen.sh script is in the release tarballs, but to regenerate
>> configure you'll have to run autogen.sh after applying that patch.
>

> If I ran the configure script again wont it remove my changes?

No, the configure script is not generated by hand. In particular, we
don't record changes to it in our version control system, so if you
applied that patch, then you didn't touch the configure script.

It just occurred to me that autogen.sh will probably fail if run from
a tarball since you don't have a gnulib repository inside that
directory, but I don't think you need all of autogen.sh to apply these
changes. If you run autoreconf, you should get the changes properly
applied. You will need autoconf, automake, aclocal, and other tools
for the GNU build system:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_build_system

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.