Re: senseless warning in octave-3.6.2

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: senseless warning in octave-3.6.2
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:47:59 +0100

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
Strictly speaking 2d matrices with one dimension equal to one are still vectors.

It's probably subjective. To me, it's still a matrix.

Strictly speaking row by column vector product is scalar vector product, i.e.

row_vec * col_vec

To me, it's a dot product and I wouldn't want it to change.

in Octave terms by _mathematical_ default should be implemented as sum(row_vec(:) .* col_vec(:)), but it's not the default I want - in most of the cases I really don't care whether a vector is a row or a column one, and I'm wondering if anybody else cares.

Following your reasoning, "col_vec * row_vec" wouldn't produce a matrix. I wouldn't that to change either.

I still don't understand the motive of promoting a N elements vector to N x N elements matrix.

As explained in the documentation (see link mentioned by Jordi), you can get back the old behavior by turning the broadcast warning into an error.

Michael.