Re: Compile Octave to use ACML on RHEL 6.1 x86_64 with GCC 4.4.5?

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: Compile Octave to use ACML on RHEL 6.1 x86_64 with GCC 4.4.5?
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:33:59 +1000

Hello Christopher,

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:13:19 +1000, Christopher Lott <address@hidden> wrote:

All, I am trying to put Octave onto a RHEL 6.1 machine to help some users. I would love to get an RPM but Red Hat in their infinite wisdom don't offer recent versions; the latest octave RPM on RHN is ver 2.1.57! I did check EPEL at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL and it has a 64-bit version of Octave 3.4.3, which I might try.

But there's the ACML issue. We like using AMD's ACML for the BLAS and LAPACK implementations because AMD provides a symmetric multi-processor ("mp") version. Using multiple cores can result in notable speedups for some computations.

[snip]

Just for kicks and giggles, I took everything to an Ubuntu machine (12.04) running gcc 4.6.3 and everything built there like a dream. So I'm confident I have good binaries from AMD and good Octave sources. I'm increasingly convinced I have a notably bad compiler in GCC 4.4.5. But it's also possible I've missed several key steps.

I'm not sure if this will really solve your problem, but might be worth considering if nothing simpler turns up. It should be possible to build RHEL 6.1 compatible version by building within mock, within Fedora 17 on a virtual machine. It might take a little while for mock to set up it's virtual environment and get all the dependencies.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell