Re: 3.6.2 on Win7, signal pkg not in path

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: 3.6.2 on Win7, signal pkg not in path
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:45:02 +0100

On 20 August 2012 18:21, Børge Strand-Bergesen <address@hidden> wrote:

>> We try to not have packages load at start up by default as we find
>> this a bad idea. We always have to run "pkg load whatever". But if you
>> want to this done automatically, you can add it to .octaverc. This can
>> be done for many other such as set your default text editor, graphicss
>> toolkit, whatever.
>
> Thank you for the clarification. It's good to know this is a feature
> and not a bug with my installation.
>
> May I suggest that pkg load lines are added to .octaverc at
> install-time to reflect the chosen options. It makes things quite a
> bit more user friendly to have it work right out of the box.

No. Selecting the package only means you want it installed, not that
you want it to load automatically. This was how it was before but
generated problems. People tend to think , erroneously, that more
packages is better, that it turns it's octave installation more
complete and powerful. This is wrong. So they would select all the
packages at install which meant they were loaded at startup time, and
then there was problems. This is not done in other programming
languages. Don't do it in octave either.

See http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#How_do_I_install_all_octave_packages.3F

Carnë