Re: How to remove the redundant print when use help()?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to remove the redundant print when use help()?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:07:11 -0500

Hi Mike,

> Or upgrade to a recent version of Octave. The latest stable release is
> 3.6.2 and the help function returns the help text as a string and the
> solution I outlined will work.

I'm not able to upgrade to 3.6.2 yet. But I have upgrade it to 3.4.0.
"deblank(help('help'))" works, but "deblank(help())" does not. Would
you please check the latter one and see if works on 3.6.2 so that I
can decide whether I need to upgrade to 3.6.2? Thanks!

/tmp$ cat test.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

/opt/local/bin/octave -q << EOF
%deblank(help('help'))
deblank(help())
EOF

/tmp$ ./test.sh

  For help with individual commands and functions type

    help NAME

  (replace NAME with the name of the command or function you would
  like to learn more about).

  For a more detailed introduction to GNU Octave, please consult the
  manual.  To read the manual from the prompt type

    doc

  GNU Octave is supported and developed by its user community.
  For more information visit http://www.octave.org.

error: Invalid call to deblank.  Correct usage is:

 -- Function File:  deblank (S)

/tmp$ octave --version
GNU Octave, version 3.4.0
Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin10.7.3".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.

--
Regards,