octave function name resolution (how conflict is handled)

From: Peng Yu
Subject: octave function name resolution (how conflict is handled)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 20:43:41 -0500

Hi,

Superficially, its seems that the name resolution in octave is similar
to path resolution in bash (or some other shells). I.e., the first
function that matches the name in the path is used.

'lookfor' seems to be able to find all functions with the same in the
path. But it seems still troublesome to handle the conflicts between
names. I'm familiar with many other languages. Most languages solve
this problem by using namespaces. I'm wondering if my understanding of
the name resolution correct for octave and whether there is a better
way to handle name conflicts in octave.

Thanks!

--
Regards,