How to get serial data from USB using instrument control

From: jd
Subject: How to get serial data from USB using instrument control
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 12:37:36 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to use the Instrument Control package
http://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package) to read in serial data
through the USB port. Right now I'm just sending test data through the the
USB from a microcontroller set to 9600.  The test data I'm sending is just
alternating 0 and 1.

I'm getting correct data through the USB when I use Screen:

screen /dev/ttyUSB1

I get strange data when I try to use octave though. I think I'm doing
something wrong. Here's an example. I think I should be getting 0 or 1 from
srl_read

pkg load all

s1 = serial("/dev/ttyUSB1", 9600)

s1 = 3