Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 16:55:39 -0500

On 6 November 2012 15:48, Dave Vasilevsky <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jordi, didn't expect to see you 'round these parts!

Hi Dave, same here. We should hang out sometime. I'll email you
privately in a moment.

> I'm not sure if this is true about osx-gcc-installer. But what I do
> know is that osx-gcc-installer is definitely Non-Free. It's not built
> from source, but produced by extracting files from Apple's installer.

Oh, that's a pity....

> A number of these files are not Free, for example the AVFoundation
> headers. I'm not even sure why it would be distributable, except for
> the pragmatic reason that Apple doesn't seem to have cracked down on
> it (yet).

Actually, this seems to have been Apple's response:

    http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html

So, I guess homebrew can work without Xcode, but not with a free gcc
installation. Sigh... At least Windows has mingw32; I can't believe
nothing comparable exists for Mac OS X.

- Jordi G. H.