Re: How can I compile Octave GUI from sources?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: How can I compile Octave GUI from sources?
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:50:51 +0100

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Pedro <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I would like to test Octave GUI but it's difficult to find a tutorial
> in google (GUI Octave, ... )
> Any help? References? Howto?
>
> I know that Octave GUI is unstable.
>
> Could be these included in FAQ?
> The response now is not enough for me :/
> http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI
>
> I'm in Lubuntu 12.10 and I have Octave version 3.6.2 from official
> repositories.
>
> Greetings,
> Pedro

Hi Pedro,

I think this mail should go to the help mailing list.

You need to checkout the default repository and compile it from source.
Follow the instructions here
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html

Once you go the code do
$ hg update default
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure
$ make
$ ./run-octave

Make sure that ./configure tell that you are OK to compile. Also when
making you can pass the -j<n> option, where <n> is the number of
processors/cores you have in your machine.
I do not know what kind of update system you have in Lubuntu, just run
the equivalent to
$ sudo apt-get install buildessential
$ sudo apt-get builddep octave

before you start compiling to get all the dependencies. You will also need
libqscintilla2 and qt4