Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:54:07 -0700

On 11/9/12 12:38 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> This discussion started with Gnu Octave. Octave is an interpreter, so
> there are no downstream products.

Not quite true.  Octave also has headers and libraries, and people can
write utilities that build against those, and any distribution would
necessarily involve Octave's license.

In what way can Apple's shenanigans on
> OS X create issues for users here? They are executing their code on the
> same non-free machine it was compiled on, and they have already agreed
> to said non-free environment.

The issue, as I understand it, is concerning the _additional_ license
agreement for Xcode.

> On a harsher note, I think Apple should be encouraged to have the cops
> break down the doors of anyone who uses a jailbroken device with free
> software and has thus violated the shrinkwrap license. In fact I think
> they should be encouraged to write terms into the license whereby users
> donate their existence as chattel, and have these terms put to the test
> of the courts.
>
> Edmund

Maybe they have done that already?  I know that I didn't go through all
of the fine print. :-)

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison