AW: showing frequency and amplitude after doing fft on signal

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: AW: showing frequency and amplitude after doing fft on signal
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:13:51 +0100

This should not be a problem with your code, but probably with the wav file or
the recording equipment...

> How does 0hz have the max amplitude?  The reason I'm trying to fix this is
> that I want to find the frequency with the highest amplitude in the wave file
> then run some calculation against it but running calculations against 0hz
> doesn't make any sense to me especially when I have to do multiplication
> with it.

0 Hz is the DC component. So, if your signal has any kind of DC offset, it is
natural to expect 0 Hz to be the largest component. You could probably check
whether it is reasonable for your data to have a relevant DC offset or whether
it is some kind of "noise".

Assuming it is a kind of recording, check your recording equipment including
your AD converter (soundcard?) Typically, there should be some kind of high
pass filter, but nevertheless, there might be some electrical offset later on
in the signal chain (e.g. at the converter, some grounding issue, ...).

If you are sure that you do not need DC, then add a high pass filter to your
processing. For acoustical measurements, traditionally 22 Hz filtering is
common (but perhaps even more common on the analog side to get rid of high low
freq components likely to overload the AD).

Sorry, I did not look into the details of your processing or your signal. Hope
this helps anyway.

Regards,

Rolf