Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:04:42 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 12/4/12, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden>
To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 4:38 PM

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

----- Original Message -----

> From: vinukn <address@hidden>

Why do you need a GUI in the first place ?

I am asking because:

1) it is _you_ and not the GUI who is entering Octave commands;

2) it is _you_ and not the GUI who edits source files of Octave scripts;

3) it is _your_ reference of text editor that determines the text editor choice
for the above;

4) it is the _OS_ and GUI toolkit which determines how the file manager looks
and acts.

I.e. the screenshot I saw looks to me like simply glued together several
windows which I have in any modern OS anyway and which I can rearrange the way
I like.

Furthermore, I often work with _several_ source files - how does a GUI like
that present several text files ?

Regards,

  Sergei.

a great question. How many people 'grew up' using Matlab when they introduced
the GUI, er, I mean Desktop?  what did it do? it took the CLI window, and a
file manager window, stuck them together. Then, it added a persistent variable
window, and a command history window. made them permanent additions. anything
else? What I wanted it already had: a decent editor/debugger. I was fine with
them all floating around as separate windows, and I usually hid much of the
rest anyway.  Haven't really used Matlab since to know if there's something
else I'm missing from any 'new' Gui, er, desktop features...  But I think I
just harped on this a few threads ago... :)  That said, a GUI is a barrier to
adoption. if for no other reason than people will say, "no gui?" and move on.

nickj

AFAIK (though I don't have access to Matlab), Matlab allows to build GUI
applications, i.e. one can create a GUI and as callbacks to widgets' state
changes to call Matlab functions.

Such a functionality makes sense, but gluing together provided by the
OS/desktop environment windows doesn't.

Regards,
  Sergei.