Re: Memory Leak

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Memory Leak
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:42:51 -0500

On 19 January 2013 22:46, Sukanta Basu <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am using Octave 3.6.2 on Ubuntu 12.10. I have written a code for
> solving certain fluid dynamics problem (~5000 lines) using Octave
> and the openmpi_ext toolbox. I am noticing a strange problem with
> Octave. The memory usage slowly increases with each iteration.

If there is indeed a memory leak, it can be in several possible
locations.

It can be in the openmpi_ext package (due to trademark issues with The
Mathworks, we don't generally refer to Octave packages as
"toolboxes"), which would be a bug in this package.

It could be in in Open MPI. In that case, we should forward the bug to
the OpenM PI maintainers.

It can be intrinsic in your m-file code, if you're inadvertently
growing an array without bound.

It can be in Octave itself, which would be a bug in Octave.

At any rate, this shouldn't happen, and you have given no usable
diagnostic information to find the memory leak. If you are unfamiliar
with hunting memory leaks (using valgrind and such), then try to post
your code which exhibits the memory leak so that other people can hunt
it down. Optimally, you should trim down your code to a working sample
that exhibits the problem.

- Jordi G. H.