Re: Bug plot after calling plotyy

From: Lourenço
Subject: Re: Bug plot after calling plotyy
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:05:28 -0200

On 26 January 2013 21:58, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 26 January 2013 18:01, Lourenco <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I reported this issue at stackoverflow:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14533543/error-plotting-data-read-from-csv-file
>
> We're doing something wrong if your first impression is to report bugs
> to Stack Overflow instead of to us:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/bugs.html
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to make it clearer how to report
> Octave bugs? When you start Octave, there is a message that tells you
> how to report bugs. How can we make it more likely for you to read
> this message?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you so much for you explanation, Jordi. It's quite likely to
read that message, no doubt. However, I think I did not write
perfectly what I mean. When I wrote ``reported this issue at'', I
would like to mean that the details of the problem I face are
described there. I must apologize for my bad words.

Here goes the discription of the problem I'm facing and I'm sure you
can point out how to overcome this.

When trying to plot in GNU/octave:

    octave:22> plot(b(:,2),b(:,4))
    error: invalid conversion from real matrix to real scalar
    error: __calc_dimensions__: expecting graphics handle as only argument
    error: called from:
    error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/private/__go_draw_axes__.m
at line 55, column 8
    error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/private/__go_draw_figure__.m
at line 167, column 19
    error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/__gnuplot_drawnow__.m at
line 86, column 5
    octave:23>

The variable 'b' is loaded from a .csv file, as follows:

    b=csvread("my.csv")

Content of my.csv

    1,40.0942,0.775539,18.658
    2,40.1882,0.857556,415.677
    3,40.2818,0.858294,233.934
    4,40.3748,0.887273,348.503
    5,40.4669,0.908618,27.0149
    6,40.558,0.908496,234.81
    7,40.6478,0.911826,58.3943
    8,40.7362,0.922848,204.128
    9,40.823,0.928547,7.75615
    10,40.908,0.920065,0.0654867

I think it is a bug. The foregoing error is caused by a plot called
after a plotyy. To reproduce the error, execute these commands:

    b=csvread("my.csv");
    plot(b(:,2),b(:,4))
    plotyy(b(:,1),b(:,2),b(:,1),b(:,4))
    plot(b(:,2),b(:,4))

Does anyone knows what is going on?

My systems is: Ubuntu 12.11, octave 3.6.2, Linux kernel 3.5.00-22-generic

Sincerely.
-- Lourenço