Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave

From: Henry Gomersall
Subject: Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:24:51 +0000

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 10:57 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Please focus your attention on the actual problem: there is a mex
> library out there without source that you would like to use with
> Octave. In order to do so in generality, you need source, so you can
> exercise the freedom to recompile it and make it work with Octave, on
> all platforms and operating systems. Your binary hacks are a needless
> nuisance that you should not tolerate. You deserve source code, so
> demand it.

I have tried, and I failed. I think your point is sound, and I will try
again.

Respectfully, I'm not the enemy here (as much as one has enemies in
software development). I too await the world built entirely on free
software. I just have a job to do in the meantime. I write blog posts on
things that interest me and might interest others (some of which may be
of interest to you ;)

Of course, the old argument about whether one should support or hinder
proprietary code on free software platforms is not clear cut even from
the perspective of the biggest long term benefit to free software. Users
bring developers bring users bring...; Leaving aside the legalities for
a moment, I'm willing to bet there are stacks of users out there that
can't or won't use Octave because of incompatibilities with libraries
they use.

Best,

Henry