Re: cursor control

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: cursor control
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:58:46 -0400

On 04/16/2013 08:20 AM, Jose wrote:
I need to control the position of the cursor in the terminal within one
script. I have tried VT100 control commands, but either they do not work
as expected or I am doing something wrong. For example:

octave:8> for n=1:10
  >   disp(a);
  >   printf("%s",[0x1B '[' 2 'A']);
  > endfor
     1   2
     1   2
     1   2
The previous code should have displayed the matrix a on top of itself
all the time.

So, how can I control the position of the cursor?

Several problems here:

- the escape sequence ESC [ val A uses ASCII codes, not binary values, so you need to use printf("%s",[0x1B '[2A']);

- 2 is too much---disp() advances one line so you need to go back one, not two

- printing advances the cursor both downwards and rightwise; why don't you use carriage return on each line:

 for i=1:1000; printf("%d \r", i); endfor