Re: Error downloading fltk-1.3.2-source.tar.gz during Octave installatio

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Error downloading fltk-1.3.2-source.tar.gz during Octave installation on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 05:41:12 -0400

On Apr 26, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Andrew Janke <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 26, 2013, at 12:24 AM, AndrewJanke wrote:
>>>
> [ … snip … ]
>>> Homebrew has not dropped Octave support.
> [ … snip … ]
>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrew
>>
>> Andrew,
>>
>> Thanks for correcting our misunderstanding!  This is good news!
>>
>> May I ask for a favor?  Would you review and then modify our simplified
>> install instructions on the wiki?
>>
>>      http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Homebrew
>>
>> Thanks again!
>> Ben
>
> Sure! Once the suite-sparse 4.2.0 fix works its way in to the release
> (hopefully in a day or two) I'll bring the Wiki up to date with current
> instructions for installing under Homebrew.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Homebrew's suite-sparse 4.2.0 fix is out now.

I've updated the wiki. I think you will like the revisions.

Most of the existing installation instructions were there to work around the
suite-sparse bug, which has been fixed, and I've removed them. The new
installation process under Homebrew is basically the following:

* get Homebrew and XCode installed
* brew tap homebrew/science
* brew update && brew upgrade
* brew install gfortran
* brew install octave

If you've already got Homebrew installed, you'll still need to do the "brew
update && brew upgrade" to pick up the suite-sparse fix. And if you're an older
homebrew user, you will need to do the "brew tap homebrew/science" to pick up
the new namespace where octave and suite-sparse live. (Sorry for the
inconvenience.)

That ought to work now. If you are having trouble, let us know via the bug
reporting link I added to the wiki and we'll address it.

Cheers,
Andrew