Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4

From: am304
Subject: Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 09:11:42 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your email. I have tried updating the windows package first (from https://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/trunk/octave-forge/extra/Windows/inst/@octave_com_object/) as it's my preferred option. That didn't make any difference unfortunately

Yes, I have run the "pkg rebuild -auto java" command, so that should be fine. However, here is what I get following your suggestions
>> chk_spreadsheet_support ([ OCTAVE_HOME "/lib/java" ], 3)

Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.

Checking Java support...
  1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
  2. Checking Octave Java support... Java seems to work OK.
  Java (version 1.6.0_37) seems OK.
jmem =

<Java object: java.lang.Long>

  Maximum JVM memory:   248 MiB; should better be at least 400 MB!
    Hint: adapt setting -Xmx in file "java.opts" (supposed to be here:)
    D:\Octave-3.6.4\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\packages\java-<version>\java.opts
Java support OK

Checking javaclasspath for .jar class libraries needed for spreadsheet I/O...:

Basic POI (.xls) <poi-3> <poi-ooxml>:
  poi-3....jar missing
  poi-ooxml-3....jar missing
  => Not all classes (.jar) required for POI in classpath

POI OOXML (.xlsx) <xbean/xmlbean> <poi-ooxml-schemas> <dom4j>:
  xbean/xmlbean....jar missing
  poi-ooxml-schemas....jar missing
  dom4j....jar missing
  => Some classes for POI OOXML support missing

JExcelAPI (.xls (incl. BIFF5 read)) <jxl>:
  jxl....jar missing
  => Not all classes (.jar) required for JXL in classpath

OpenXLS (.xls (BIFF8)) <OpenXLS>:
  OpenXLS....jar missing
  => Not all classes (.jar) required for OXS in classpath

ODF Toolkit (.ods) <odfdom> <xercesImpl>:
  odfdom....jar missing
  xercesImpl....jar missing
  => Not all required classes (.jar) in classpath for OTK

jOpenDocument (.ods + experimental .sxc readonly) <jOpendocument>:
  jOpenDocument....jar missing
  => Not all required classes (.jar) in classpath for JOD

UNO/Java (.ods, .xls, .xlsx, .sxc) <OpenOffice.org>:
  program....jar missing
  unoil....jar missing
  jurt....jar missing
  juh....jar missing
  unoloader....jar missing
  ridl....jar missing
  => One or more UNO classes (.jar) missing in javaclasspath
Some class libs lacking yet...

Trying to add missing java class libs to javaclasspath...
  Found poi-3.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found poi-ooxml-3.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found xbean.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found poi-ooxml-schemas.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found dom4j-1.6.1.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found jxl.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found OpenXLS.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found odfdom.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found xercesImpl.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
  Found jOpenDocument.jar, adding it to javaclasspath ... OK
All Java-based interfaces fully supported.now.

ans =  126
So it looks like it couldn't find any of the required files at first but managed to sort it out. However if I exit Octave and restart, the same problem occurs. Is there a way to "save" those changes? I'm guessing this is to with javaclasspath. Why the windows interface doesn't work remains a mystery. Thanks again, Arnaud