Re: mkoctfile not found on mac lion

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: mkoctfile not found on mac lion
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 10:24:11 +0800

On May 16, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Jeremiah A wrote:

> > Subject: Re: mkoctfile not found on mac lion
> > From: address@hidden
> > Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 22:11:36 +0800
> > CC: address@hidden
> > To: address@hidden
> >
> > On May 15, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Jeremiah A wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > My Mac Lion has Octave 3.4.0 installed and working. Yet, while attempting
> > > to install octcdf, I get the message:
> > > configure: WARNING: no mkoctfile found on path
> > >
> > > Install then fails. Seems that everyone says I need to install octave dev
> > > header files? The octave wiki link confuses me and seems to point to
> > > repositories that are non-Mac only:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#I_cannot_install_a_package._Octave_complains_about_a_missing_mkoctfile.
> > >
> > > As an inexperienced linux / Mac terminal user, I am completely lost. Any
> > > help would be hugely appreciated, keeping in mind that I'm a total newbie
> > > with this stuff.
> > >
> > > Thank you very much!
> > > Jeremy
> >
> > How did you install Octave 3.4.0?
> >
> > If you are using a package management system, then tell us which one and we
> > may be able to help.
> >
> > if you downloaded Octave from somewhere please tell use where (a link would
> > be preferred).
> >
> > Ben
> >

> Hello Ben,
>
> Thanks for your help! I installed Octave following these instructions,
> downloading the .dmg, etc:
>
> http://bl.anthonysutardja.com/post/24020287559/installing-octave-on-osx-lion
>
> I started it up and tested a few Octave functions and it seems to run without
> any problems.
>
> Thanks again,
> Jeremy

Ok. Thanks.  I've shamelessly copied Anthony's instructions onto our wiki.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Installing_Mac_OS_X_Bundle

Our wiki includes instructions for installing Octave.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

We recommend you use a package manager.  Presently this is required if you plan
to use mkoctfile.

Ben

p.s. Please be sure to "reply-all" so that everyone can benefit from the
discussion and respond at the bottom (not the top of the email) so that those
arriving late can follow along.