Re: dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _dlartg_ , using

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _dlartg_ , using Octave 3.6.3 on OSX 10.8.3
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 13:09:12 -0700

On 5/20/13 9:52 AM, Matt Rathbun wrote:
Hello,

I do not know if this is the right mailing list to ask this, but I am
horribly out of my depth, and would appreciate any help or re-direction
that might be offered.

So far, Octave has been working normally for the last month or so, as
I'm learning very basic commands. However, in trying to use the function
fminunc(), I receive the following error:

    dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _dlartg_
       Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libqrupdate.1.dylib
       Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libtatlas.dylib
    dyld: Symbol not found: _dlartg_
       Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libqrupdate.1.dylib
       Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libtatlas.dylib
    panic: Trace/BPT trap: 5 -- stopping myself...
    attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
    save to `octave-core' complete
    Trace/BPT trap: 5
    logout
    [Process completed]

A bit of unfortunate background: I am running OSX 10.8.3. I tried
following the instructions for 'Manual Installation from Source', and
was having difficulty getting Octave to build (probably should not have
tried it, as I clearly didn't really know what I was doing). I think I
tried to download and install Octave using Fink as well, but I do not
remember, and somehow this did not work either.

You didn't report that to me, sorry, or I could have helped you fix it :-)

I finally succeeded in
installing it using MacPorts, but I fear that my previous attempts may
be part of what has caused some sort of library incompatibilities.

Can anybody help me resolve whatever is causing this error, and what
presumably will cause innumerably many errors in the future?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate any help that you can offer!

Sincerely,
Matt

Nothing here really to do with Octave.

You might try using

nm  /opt/local/lib/libtatlas.dylib

to verify whether or not _dlartg_ is actually defined in that. It's defined in Fink's build of ATLAS, so I can't imagine that it's missing from Macports' build.

If, indeed, it is defined there, then the issue could be that you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set, and it's pointing to a bad libtatlas.dylib.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison