Re: Test data for (m-code) semiovariogram?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Test data for (m-code) semiovariogram?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:44:46 -0700 (PDT)

forkandwait wrote
> PhilipNienhuis
> <pr.nienhuis <at>
>  hccnet.nl> writes:
>

>> forkandwait wrote
>
> (SNIP)
>
>> > Does anyone know of a good test dataset, with known correct input and
>> > ouptut,
>> > that I can run to verify the code?
>>
>> Just a little bit of googling turned up this:
>>
>> http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/mult_pkg/faq/general/spatial_autocorr.htm
>> &
>> http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/faq/SAS_variogram_fit.htm
>
> Cool.  I did google I promise!

I believe you. My 10-yr old daughter regularly baffles me as she often
outwits my google skills...
(BTW a hint: Bing, Yahoo and other search engines often yield results that
Google didn't find - or didn't rank high enough in the results list which in
the end boils down to the same)

> <snip>
>
>> The statistics package may be a good target; I'd suggest to add a new
>> category "geostatistics"
>
> I imagine just writing a single function -- semivariogram() with an option
> for returning a fitted model -- and to start a whole new package seems
> silly
> for that.  Even with 2 funcs -- kriging() -- it seems silly.  Plus I only
> probably have time to submit a patch at the moment, not setup and maintain
> package.

I wrote category - not package!

If you don't know what I mean, just look in:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/statistics/overview.html
and pull down the Select category list (it'll probably mention
"Distributions").

Anyway please do submit your functions (in the patch tracker); if you don't
seed you never get a tree.

Philip