Re: Unable to use xlsread function

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Unable to use xlsread function
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:30:04 -0700 (PDT)

debatri wrote
> I am facing a strange problem with Octave(version 3.6.4). I have installed
> packages windows,Java and IO but still unable to help" xlsread". I am
> getting error "xlsopen.m: unsupported file format for JExcelAPI". Any
> suggestions?

What Windows version, io package version, windows package version, java
package version?
Exactly what commands did you enter?

It may be a bug in xlsopen.m that I recently squashed for the (development)
1.3.x io package version. (Hmmm I see that I've also fixed it for io-1.2.2)
Symptoms:
- .xlsx file  (OOXML)
- you try to open the file 'according to the rules', but you get that
JExcelAPI error message.

If you have MS-Excel installed (2010 and up), and have the Windows package
loaded, I'm surprised that Excel (which is behind the COM/ActiveX interface)
doesn't read it. Unless you have 64-bit MS-Office.

Philip