Re: Octave Online Interface

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Octave Online Interface
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:00:20 -0400

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Shane Carr <address@hidden> wrote:
Good morning,

My name is Shane Carr, and I am an engineering student at Washington
University in St. Louis.

As a summer project, I decided to try writing an updated online interface
for GNU Octave.

I read some of the old threads in the mailing list about making an online
GUI for Octave.  They described two main stumbling blocks: security and
performance.  I made sure to address these concerns.

- For Security: I have Octave running inside a restricted SELinux sandbox.
I have not been able to perform any malicious attacks on my system using
Octave within the sandbox.

- For Performance: I currently have the application running in the Rackspace
Cloud.  The application can delegate processes to several separate cloud
servers in order to support more simultaneous users.  In addition, the
server sends a SIGINT to Octave after a command has taken longer than 5
seconds (10 seconds when you are logged in).

Here's what I came up with.  I just got it to a working state a few days
ago, and it is still very much in "beta".  But for the most part, it works
well:

http://octave-online.net/

I was wondering if the Octave community could play around with the GUI a
bit, making sure that your favorite commands work and stuff like that.  No
one besides me has yet interacted with the site.

Thanks!

Regards, Shane

octave:1> pkg list
no packages installed.

What are you going to do about Packages?
Doug

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html