Re: octave on windows 8

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: octave on windows 8
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:44:27 +0200

Il 8/9/2013 1:29 PM, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen ha scritto:
Hello!

I will shortly start (to teach) a calculus course where use of
octave/matlab will be included.
The students will mainly be using their own computers, and (sadly)
most of them will bring windows computers, many of the computers new,
so with windows 8.

Is there good solutions to use octave with windows 8?, as I have heard
that do not work?  So long I do not have access to a computer with
windows 8, so cannot try!

Thanks, Kjetil

It works.

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows#Octave-3.6.4-mingw_.2B_octaveforge_pkgs

see "Manual installation instructions note 3":

Note for windows 8 users: As a workaround for a gnulib windows 8 compatibility bug, add command line switches ' -i --line-editing' to the octave.exe shortcut

Regards
Marco