Re: Simultaneous "compact", "short e" and "output_precision(2)"

From: Paul
Subject: Re: Simultaneous "compact", "short e" and "output_precision(2)"
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:40:11 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Miller <mtmiller <at> ieee.org> writes:
>On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:48:07 +0000, Paul wrote:
>> The difficulty with suggesting wording is that I'm surmising what
>> the explanation is.  I don't really know.
>
> I can easily confirm in the code whatever wording you might suggest,
> I just haven't had time to look into it yet.
>
>> Also, my hypothesis doesn't really explain the interaction between
>> the format statement and the output_precision invocation, basically
>> preventing all features from being in effect at the same time.
>
> Can you explain what you mean by that? I don't see any unexpected or
> confusing behavior about the interaction between format and
> output_precision.

Hi, Mike,

None of the 3 examples of code in my original post simultaneously
activates "format compact", "format short e" and "output_precision(2)".
The exact circumstances and statement ordering giving rise to which
combination of effects is a black box from my point of view.

I might have misunderstood you, so please bear with me and correct me if I
did.

Rather than trying to document the behaviour of a black box, I think it
would be better to document the designed-for behaviour (the intended
behaviour) and note the departures in reality.  I've described what I
encountered, but I can't say that I've caught all the possible combinations.