Re: problems installing openmpi_ext

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: problems installing openmpi_ext
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:54:34 -0700

On 9/8/13 6:33 AM, Benjamin Abbott wrote:
On Sep 8, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Francis Poulin <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks to both of you for looking into this.  I am happy to try this in the
debugger but I admit that I've never used it before and I'm having problems
getting started.

First, you don't mean to use the debugger in octave I bather?  I tried starting

octave --debug

and that give a lot of output, none of which seemed at all useful.

Second ,you suggest running octave in a debugger and show 'run-octave -g'.  I
did not know you could run octave in a debugger and am not sure exactly how to
do that.  If you could get me started I'm happy to share the output.

Thanks again,
Francis

Run octave in the gnu debugger, start octave, execute the parcell_example
script, when octave crashes run a back trace. The commands are ...

run-octave -g
run
parcell_example
bt

The copy the output from bt into your reply.

Ben

Let me elaborate on how to do this via Fink:

1) "run-octave" doesn't get installed under the default Octave build and install operation, which is more or less what we do, and Fink by default deletes the Octave build directory to save space, so it's probably not present.

"fink -k rebuild octave" will do another build but not delete the build directory. (The default location is /sw/src/fink.build/octave-3.6.4-5/)

2) When you do that rebuild, You might want to edit the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS settings in /sw/fink/10.7/stable/main/finkinfo/sci/octave-3.6.4.info to include the "-g" flag, e.g

 export CFLAGS='-O3 -MD -g'

to generate debug symbols (I'll probably turn that on for everybody the next time I put out a new revision).

3) However, I found when I tried this kind of operation last that Apple's clang didn't seem to generate the full debugging information, or possibly that the gdb debugger as provided by Xcode 4.x didn't know what to do with it. Some additional things to try would be

a) Install Fink's gdb package, which is newer than what Xcode has
b) Switch the compilers in the "SetCC" and "SetCXX" lines of octave-3.6.4.info to be gcc-fsf-4.8 and g++-fsf-4.8, respectively.

I've got a build going right now to do any or all of these.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison