Re: octave update

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: octave update
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:03:04 -0400

On Nov 2, 2013, at 8:30 AM, jacopo rocchi wrote:

> thank you, i tried to follow the wiki page but that what i get. if i write on
> the shell
> sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+docs
> i get:
> Error: Unable to open port: invalid command name "compiler.blacklist-append"
> while if i use fink and write
> sudo fink install octave-dev
> i got
> We don't support updates from 10.7 to 10.9.
> Check the 'Clean Upgrade' section of /sw2/share/doc/fink/INSTALL
> or /sw2/share/doc/fink/INSTALL.html for information about
> how to proceed.
>
> 'install' operation not permitted.
>
> homebrew does not work, since if i write:
> brew install octave
> it gives:
> Warning: It appears you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
> Software installed with other package managers causes known problems for
> Homebrew. If a formula fails to build, uninstall MacPorts/Fink and try
> again.
> Error: No available formula for octave
> Searching taps...
> homebrew/science/octave
>
> so how should i proceed?

I suggest you not use both Fink, Macports, and/or homebrew simultaneously.
They can conflict with each other (makes debugging problems difficult for you
since your install is different than anyone elses).

You can disable macports by editing your ~/.profile and removing the path
settings for Macports.  I expect that Fink adds its path settings there as
well, but I'm not certain.

From the error Fink gave above, I assume you'll need to uninstall the Fink
packages you installed under 10.7 and reinstall under Mavericks (10.9).  The
Fink homepage indicates that they are currently in the process of making
packages available.  I don't know if Octave364 is available at this time.  In
any event, please refer to the information Fink gave you above (quoted again
below).

> We don't support updates from 10.7 to 10.9.
> Check the 'Clean Upgrade' section of /sw2/share/doc/fink/INSTALL
> or /sw2/share/doc/fink/INSTALL.html for information about
> how to proceed.

I'm not familiar with the error you encountered using MacPorts.  I'd assume it
is either because you have Fink and/or Homebrew installed in parallel or that
you migrated from an older version of MacOS X to 10.9 (?).  Macports has a page
detailing what needs to be done when migrating between versions of MacOS X.

        https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

Beyond that, for help using Macports, please use the appropriate mail list.