Re: Octave GUI in VNC

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave GUI in VNC
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:10:05 -0500

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 16:50:31 +0100, Joerg Buescher wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> whenever I run Octave with the GUI through VNC, I get this error
> message all the time:
>
> Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
>   Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
>   Resource id:  0x0
>
> By "all the time" I mean it appears 13 times when I start Octave and
> every time I right-click the command window and so on. Everything
> still seems to work fine, but the high frequency of this message
> does get a little annoying over time.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix it other than the obvious "warning off"?

Hi Jörg, I just tried this to verify and I do see the same. These are in
fact warnings from the X library, not from Octave, so the "warning off"
command will not help you in this case.

I suggest you report a bug [1] if running the GUI in VNC is a
requirement for you. I'm honestly not sure what can be done about it,
other than moving the stderr stream somewhere else, but I think it's
worth reporting anyway.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

--
mike