statistics.m fails

From: Jose
Subject: statistics.m fails
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:11:41 +0200

Hello.

As the subject says, the script 'statistics' fails consistently in octave-3.8.0. Try
---
statistics([0 1]);
---
The problem is in the call to 'skewness' and 'kurtosis'. They both require a flag in between the X and DIM arguments to control what type of normalization they use (It seems that they did not required the flag in octave-3.6.4).

I was trying to find a solution to this. One possibility is to
change the 'statistics' from
---
function stats = statistics (x, dim)
---
---
function stats = statistics (x, flag, dim)
---
following the changes in 'skewness' and 'kurtosis', which seems natural. Then a conflict might arise if one wants to use different flags for the skewness and kurtosis (which I think is rare, though).
Another possibility is to simply use the default flag in both.
Yet another one is to use a vector of two flags.

I have tried to find how Matlab does this, but have not found a 'statistics' function. So I guess this is Octave specific.

Any comments?

Regards,
J.