Octave - Background of legends and print -dpdflatexstandalone exports

From: jmb
Subject: Octave - Background of legends and print -dpdflatexstandalone exports
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 08:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,
i have some trouble exporting graphics as LaTex graphics. The trouble i have
is related to the legend in combination with grid lines.
Assume the following minimal example:

figure;
plot(randn(5,1));
legend('randn');
grid minor on;
print -dpdflatexstandalone test.tex

displays the figure correctly. But in the exported pdf (after compiling the
standalone tex file), the background of the legend is lost and the grid
lines cross the legend text. Even if I change e.g. the background color of
the legend, it is the same behaviour. In more complex plots, the legend gets
unreadable.
As a workaround one can manually include e.g. a \colorbox{white}{...} around
the legend entry, but this might lead to stange results, e.g. if the length
of the legend entrys vary, or lines between the entries remain.
Exporting the figure as e.g. eps (print -depsc test.eps), everything is
fine.
Has anybody an idea what went wrong? In older versions (I do not know the
older version number), everything worked well.
Currently iam using 3.8.1 from the OpenSUSE 12.3 science repository.
Has anbody an idea what I did wrong or what I can do such that the
background of a legend is exported correct and that the grid lines are faded
out in the legend?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,
Jan Martin