Re: octave can not solve x=A\B, but freemat can

From: tomdylan
Subject: Re: octave can not solve x=A\B, but freemat can
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 02:53:39 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much for all the hints, especially the techniques manual!

I reviewed my mixed FE code and found out that the number of elements which
is calculated from the number of nodes was 48.5. I rounded that off to the
coefficient matrix confusion that led to a kind of singular system.

Apparently freemat did not bother about that "wrong" number of elements and
yielded correct results!

I changed my discretization (uneven number of nodes) and octave gave my
accurate results too!

Without having found out, what exactly happened in octave through the
"wrong" number of elements I am very lucky, to have a "running" octave
system. As I assumed octave selects the appropriate matrix factorization
depending on the properties of the matrix itself.

Hope you too have a spring sun shining through your window!